Playing it safe, Mets give Castillo rest

Playing it safe, Mets give Castillo rest

NEW YORK -- Only minutes after releasing their starting lineup for Friday's game against the Yankees, the Mets issued a new version -- this one without second baseman Luis Castillo.

Castillo, who has been battling a bone bruise in his left foot since Spring Training, was unavailable for comment on Friday. He has been wearing an orthopedic pad in his left shoe but has been playing under some duress.

"We're going to try to give him tonight off and see how he responds to the treatment and what have you," manager Jerry Manuel said. "It's in a very tricky area. Any time you walk or any time you do anything, it can cause some problems."

Manuel said that if possible, he will rest Castillo again on Saturday. Alex Cora replaced Castillo in Friday's lineup, batting second.

For Castillo, disappointment during the Subway Series is nothing new. Last year at Yankee Stadium, the second baseman dropped a popup in the bottom of the ninth inning on June 12, allowing the tying and winning runs to score and sending the Mets to a walk-off defeat.

-- Anthony DiComo