LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Before scattering to their various offices in New York and around the country, the Mets on Thursday made their deals with right-handed reliever D.J. Carrasco and catcher Ronny Paulino official, inking Carrasco to a two-year contract worth a reported $2.5 million and Paulino to a one-year deal worth a reported $1.3 million.
The Mets agreed to terms with both players on Tuesday.
"Regardless of cost, we got the catcher that we think fits best for us," Mets general manager Sandy Alderson said. "The right-handed relief that was available at a reasonable cost, we got the guy we wanted. So we were happy with both of those things. We didn't settle in either case. We might have to do that down the line, but we didn't do it here."
Carrasco, 33, posted a 3.68 ERA last season in 63 appearances split between the Pirates and D-backs. He has decreased his ERA in each of the past four seasons, last year striking out 65 batters and walking 34.
Paulino, 29, hit .259 with four home runs in 316 at-bats last season for the Marlins, missing the final 42 games after testing positive for a performance-enhancing substance. He will back up Josh Thole for the Mets and perhaps start regularly against left-handed pitching -- Paulino hit .358 against southpaws last season, with three home runs in 95 at-bats. For his career, Paulino is a .338 hitter against left-handed pitchers.
Though there was some concern regarding Paulino's PED suspension -- he will need to sit out the first eight games of next season -- the Mets were nonetheless comfortable with the notion of signing him.
"We live within the system that's been adopted by Major League Baseball," Alderson said. "There's a penalty for his transgression, it has been served, you move on. But it's an individual case-by-case determination in terms of incident, reputation, et cetera."
Earlier this week, Marlins manager Edwin Rodriguez offered his own take on Paulino's reputation.
"I think the Mets are getting a very good player," Rodriguez said. "Ronny Paulino, he knew even while he was playing that in his situation, he had a chance to be suspended. I think that's what affected him on the field. ... He knew about it, and it took a lot of energy away from him worrying about the whole situation. But physically and talent-wise, I think he's capable of having a good year."
Anthony DiComo is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @AnthonyDicomo. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.