Mets rally past Marlins

Mets rally past Marlins

MIAMI -- The New York Mets are inching closer to clinching their first division title since 1988.

Cliff Floyd doubled in the winning run in the eighth inning as the New York Mets came from behind to beat the Florida Marlins, 6-4, on Tuesday night at Dolphin Stadium.

The Mets snapped the Marlins' three-game win streak and reduced their magic number to clinch the division to three. The Mets can clinch if the Braves can sweep the Phillies in a doubleheader on Wednesday and they defeat the Marlins.

"It was a big win for us tonight," Floyd said. "We want to make the playoffs and put this behind us. Everyone is looking forward to going to the postseason."

This was the seventh time this season the Mets have come back from a four-run deficit to win.

"We came back for a sweet, sweet win," Mets manager Willie Randolph said. "Carlos [Delgado] had the big bomb and Cliff [Floyd] contributed to that, too. To be down four, with the rain delay, and re-focus and come out to play, we did what we needed to do."

Trailing 4-1, the Mets took the lead in the eighth by ravaging the Marlins bullpen. Paul Lo Duca and Carlos Beltran hit consecutive singles. Delgado's home run to center field off reliever Taylor Tankersley tied the score at 4.

"It's a big situation in the game," Delgado said. "That brought us back. It was nice to see a comeback and a little life in the offense."

David Wright doubled off the left-field scoreboard off reliever Chris Resop and scored on Floyd's double off Renyel Pinto to give the Mets a 5-4 lead.

"We never feel we're out of a game," Wright said. "Our offense can explode and we did that today. Our bullpen came in and did an excellent job. That's a recipe for success."

The Mets scored a final run in the ninth when reliever Joe Borowski walked pinch-hitter Endy Chavez with the bases loaded.

Mets starting pitcher Oliver Perez pitched five innings. He allowed four runs on five hits. He walked two but struck out 11, a season high.

"He was fine," Randolph said. "He made a few mistakes out there, but it was a positive start for him."

Marlins starter Josh Johnson held the Mets to three hits while striking out three and walking one over five scoreless innings.

In the third inning, Miguel Cabrera singled and Josh Willingham followed with a home run over the left-field scoreboard off Perez to increase the lead to 4-0.

The Marlins scored two runs in the first inning. Dan Uggla and Josh Willingham each singled. Wes Helm's two-out double drove them in.

The game started 46 minutes late due to a rain delay, and was followed by a one hour and 22 minute rain delay in the second.

Paul Gereffi is an associate reporter for This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.