The club said only this much: that Martinez had thrown 50 pitches and that his next activity -- throwing batting practice, a sideline session, another simulated game or pitching in a Minor League game -- would be determined Tuesday after Martinez's condition had been re-evaluated.
General manager Omar Minaya said last week that Martinez had thrown 60 pitches in the Dominican Republic on Thursday. But it seemed the club was not aware of that episode until well after it happened. The club had said in July, following a simulated game, that Martínez would suspend his rehab program for a week to 10 days, a break prescribed by the club's medical staff.
Minaya reiterated Martínez has endured no setbacks and that he still is expected to pitch at some point in August. He mentioned September as well, a possibility that hadn't been discussed publicly before last week.
"I've said all along that whatever we get from Pedro this year is a bonus," Minaya said. "It's one of those things where his body is going to say what happens next."
Marty Noble is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.