LOS ANGELES -- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson offered his most blunt comments yet regarding the future of Jose Reyes, reiterating Thursday that he has no plans to trade his All-Star shortstop.
"I think it's very unlikely Jose will be traded this season, and that's without regard to his injury," Alderson said.
The Mets placed Reyes on the disabled list earlier Thursday with Grade 1 strain of his left hamstring.
Keeping Reyes through the end of this season, however, does not necessarily mean that the Mets will retain him. Contrary to a published report, the team has no immediate plans to discuss a new contract with Reyes, respecting the impending free agent's wishes to delay negotiations until after this season.
"There's nothing to it," Chris Leible, one of Reyes' agents, said Thursday afternoon. "Nothing's happened."
The New York Post reported earlier Thursday that the Mets planned to begin negotiating with Reyes, using last month's vow of inactivity as a smokescreen to deflect media attention. Both Leible -- who represents Reyes along with Peter and Ed Greenberg -- and Alderson denied that allegation.
"Nothing has changed in the last couple weeks," Leible said. "I'm not really sure where the report came from."
"We reached out," Alderson said, referring to last month's talk with Reyes and his agents. "They respectfully declined, which was an appropriate response on their part, so we honored that. There is nothing going on otherwise. Even secretly. Even super-secretly."
Reyes is eligible to become a free agent after this season for the first time in his career.