Ike still searching for answers

Ike still searching for answers

Ike still searching for answers
PHOENIX -- Nearly three months have passed since Mets first baseman Ike Davis collided with David Wright, injuring his left ankle and -- unbeknownst to anyone at the time -- throwing both his season and career in turmoil.

And still, there is no resolution.

"The waiting game," Davis said, "is kind of getting old."

A Scottsdale, Ariz., native and a former first baseman at nearby Arizona State, Davis joined the Mets this weekend in Phoenix -- in large part to catch up with teammates and friends. That he will not return to the Mets this season has become somewhat of a foregone conclusion. Now, Davis is spending much of his energy preparing for next year.

It is not as easy as it sounds. For Davis, the worst-case scenario is that he will still require microfracture surgery to heal the bone bruise in his left ankle -- a procedure that would sideline him for approximately five months. Because of that lengthy timetable, Davis must decide by Labor Day whether or not to proceed with surgery, or else risk not being ready for Spring Training.

Naturally, surgery is not ideal. What Davis wants most is for his bone bruise simply to heal on its own, though he is growing more and more skeptical that that will happen.

Three months have passed, with no noticeable improvement in his ankle. Countless visits to doctors have occurred, most recently this week to a foot specialist in North Carolina. Answers remain elusive.

"No one wants to have surgery," Davis said. "But if it's going to be the only way to make me feel better, then I have to have it done."

Most shocking for Davis has been the sheer length of his recovery. Injuring his ankle in late May in Denver, Davis said hours after his collision that he expected to play the next day.

But the next day came and went. The next week came and went. The next three months came and went. And still, the ankle isn't healed.

"It does go to show you that something that looked minor can certainly be very big," Mets manager Terry Collins said. "You don't realize the force when he turned it, all the weight going down in the joint ... all the damage it caused. Everybody is shocked by it."

Davis most of all.

"I've been in limbo for so long," he said. "I'm just looking forward to an answer, but they don't have an answer."