Valentin getting another shot at Mets
The New York Post reported in its Wednesday edition that the Mets have invited veteran second baseman Jose Valentin to Spring Training. The newspaper quoted agent David Elston as the source of its information. The Mets said Wednesday no invitation had been extended yet, but did acknowledge the club had spoken with the agent about the return of the 38-year-old free agent.
The story noted that Valentin, such an integral part of the Mets' success in 2006, will be unable to participate in baseball activities until mid-March because he is still rehabbing his right knee. He underwent surgery to repair a tear of the anterior cruciate ligament on Sept. 25. The Post also said Valentin would be given a Minor League contract.
Valentin appeared in merely 51 games last season because of the knee injury suffered on April 27, and a broken tibia suffered on July 20. Since then, the club acquired and re-signed Luis Castillo to play second base. But Valentin's versatility, switch-hitting and power eventually could win him a place on the roster. He is a favorite of manager Willie Randolph.
Marty Noble is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.