NEW YORK -- The Mets and the Las Vegas 51s, the club's Triple-A affiliate, announced a new, two-year Player Development Contract on Thursday that will continue the teams' relationship through the 2016 season.
There had been some speculation that the Mets would seek a partnership with a different Triple-A franchise, likely one in the International League, because of logistical issues regarding getting players from Nevada to Queens or wherever the Mets happened to be playing on the road in the event of a callup.
With Rochester re-upping with the Twins this week, however, the Mets stayed with Vegas, just as they have since 2012.
"There were definitely potential options to go elsewhere," general manager Sandy Alderson said. "They've made some improvements. Their field there is much better than it was. There are some things that need to be done, but in terms of getting players in and out, if you're going to be that far away that's probably the best place to be given the number of flights that come in and out of there.
"We certainly didn't want to be someplace else in the Pacific Coast League. So we're happy to be back there."
Manager Terry Collins indicated earlier this month that the significant distance between Vegas and New York is an issue.
"We worry about [the travel] every time we call somebody up. Absolutely," Collins said. "When your Triple-A team is that far away and they do take those red eyes, sometimes they get here at the ballpark at 10:30 a.m. The majority of them will say, 'Yeah, I slept a little bit on the plane.' You've traveled. You don't sleep well on planes."
Anthony DiComo is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @AnthonyDicomo. Tim Healey is an associate reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.Less